- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 coriander roots, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, stem removed
- 100g unsalted macadamias
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 x 270ml cans coconut milk
- 100g Thai palm sugar, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into3cm cubes
- 4 x 160-180g firm white fish fillets (such as blue-eye, mahi-mahi, ling), cut into thirds
- 1 kaffir lime, zest (or zest of a Tahitian lime)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges, to serve
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Herb chilli sambal
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 long green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
Red onion salad
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
To make the curry paste, in a small blender add all the curry paste ingredients and whizz until it forms a rough paste.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat, add the curry paste and reduce the heat to medium, cook,stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic.
Add the coconut milk, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and potatoes and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Add the fish and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until fish is cooked.
Taste for seasoning, the flavour should have a balance of hot, sweet, sour and salty so add more fish sauce, lime juice or palm sugar if needed.
Just before serving add the lime zest, coriander leaves and serve with herb chilli sambal, red onion salad (see recipes below), steamed jasmine rice and lime wedges.
Herb Chilli Sambal
In a small bowl add the sugar and lime juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and combine well, set aside.
Red onion salad
In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients, combine well and set aside.
For more zesty lime recipes pick up a copy of the latest issue of Organic Gardener magazine.
Recipe: Julie Ray