- 6 slices sourdough bread,crusts removed
- 2⁄3 cup (180g) pesto*
- 8 field mushrooms or large Swiss brown mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 4 sprigs cherry truss tomatoes
- 2 tbs vino cotto* or balsamic Vinegar
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a large baking tray. Place the bread in a food processor and process until you have fine breadcrumbs. Add the pesto, season with salt and pepper, then process to combine.
Place the mushrooms, cap-side down, on the tray and brush with half the olive oil. Season, then fill each mushroom with some of the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange the tomatoes around the mushrooms, drizzle with the remaining olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 8–10 minutes until the tomatoes start to collapse and the mushrooms are tender. Drizzle with the vino cotto, then swirl the pan around to combine the vino cotto with any pan juices. Serve the mushrooms and tomatoes drizzled with the juices.
* Good-quality pesto is available from delis; alternatively see recipe, p 18. Vino cotto (also known as saba) is available from Italian delis and gourmet food shops.
From delicious. Simple by Valli Little, published by ABC books. Available from ABC Online.
Recipe: Valli Little