Bread and Butter pickles
In a pickle about too many cucumbers? This simple recipe will ensure nothing goes to waste in your vegie patch.
- 5 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
- 1 ½ cups of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon each of mustard, coriander and fennel seeds
- 1 small chilli de-seeded and chopped
Layer the sliced cucumbers and onions in a container and sprinkle each layer with sea salt.
Leave to stand for 1 hour then rinse thoroughly in cold water.
In a saucepan gently heat the vinegar, sugar, chilli, mustard, coriander and fennel seeds until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Then boil rapidly for about 3 minutes.
Pack the cucumbers into sterilized jars, pour in the hot liquid to completely cover the cucumbers and seal.
Put the jars in a dark cupboard for 4 weeks and once opened store in the fridge.
First published: February 2011