- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g (1 cup) Gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 55g (1/2 cup) almond meal
- 4 sticks of rhubarb
- 95g (1 cup) flaked almonds
Grease a 28cm (base measurement) fluted flan dish.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Use an electric beater to beat butter, sugar and lemon rind in a large mixing bowl until very pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined. Fold in flour and cinnamon alternately with the almond meal.
Spoon the mixture evenly into prepared pan. Arrange rhubarb slices over top of cake mixture. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Recipe: The Diggers Club