About the Autumn-Winter guide
It’s all about the pea, cabbage and onion families this season, and a speedy start to planning and planting will maximise your return.
In cold areas, sow seed early while the soil is still warm and be prepared to cover tender young plants if you are expecting early frost. Brussels sprouts and cauli·flower need a lengthy cool season so plant them by April in warm temperate and arid zones.
In the subtropics, there’s time for one last crop of corn and cucumber if you move quickly, and in the tropics, it’s almost anything goes so get in and make the most of it!
- liquid fertilise leafy vegetables fortnightly
- protect frost-sensitive plants with cloches
- make plans for doing bigger jobs in the cool
- spray or net brassica to control grubs
- plant bare-rooted deciduous fruit trees
- sow hardy green manure crops in unused beds
- re-pot perennial herbs with fresh potting mix
- protect seedlings against snails and slugs