Our “Aussie” issue.
This issue we celebrate all things Australian in the garden, from the humble shed, to indigenous foods, Aussie bred livestock, fruit, flower and veg varieties, and good old-fashioned Aussie ingenuity.
Plus, to mark the centenary of Anzac we’re digging for victory and revisiting our gardening past.
And… how safe is your soil? Cook up some Aussie favourites with a twist, and an ocean SOS – is it too late to save our seas?
ABC Organic Gardener magazine, print and digital versions, are available from ABC Shops and Centres, newsagents, Zinio, Google Play, the Apple Newsstand and online at organicgardener.com.au
True blue pumpkins
Justin Russell reckons there are few vegies as true blue as the pumpkin and names his top five Aussie varieties, plus tips on how to grow and store them.
Know your onions
Crying out for advice on how to grow a successful onion crop? Peter Cundall’s expert tips are sure to bring tears of joy!
Chef Clayton Donovan is using the wild and robust flavours of the Australian bush to help shape a unique cuisine we can call our own, writes Kylie McGregor. Plus his top bush foods with cooking and growing tips.
Digging for victory
Stuart Read revisits our gardening past and the wartime campaign for people to ‘dig for victory’ by growing their own vegies, boosting a nationwide backyard food movement.
Patches of peace
Gardening is proving a therapeutic tonic, both physically and mentally, for returned war veterans around Australia, writes Simon Webster.
Winter is on the way so it’s time to relish in reduced pest and disease problems and prepare for cooler conditions.
Top 10 Aussie icons
Australia is certainly no slouch in the ingenuity department. Jacqueline Forster picks her top 10 homegrown inventions in agriculture and sustainability.
Renowned Australian photographer Simon Griffiths celebrates sheds of all shapes and sizes in his latest book, Shed.
The world’s oceans are fundamental to human survival – they are also in peril. It’s time to turn the tide and preserve this vital resource, writes Dr Reese Halter.
Aussie classics with a twist
Phil Dudman and Julie Ray look back at the dramatic changes in the garden and kitchen over the years, plus new recipes for traditional Aussie fare.
Plus all our regular articles…
- Editor’s letter
- Organic feedback
- Organic matters - the latest news and events.
- Organic market - Clean and green products for your home and body.
- Organic plant - Nutrient-dense plants for the cool season.
- Organic advice - our experts answer your gardening questions.
- Organic library - the latest books.
- Losing the plot: Simon Webster admits that while he might be a dedicated seed saver, he never quite gets around to sowing them.
- Competitions - WIN a garden shed worth $799 or a copy of Simon Griffiths’ book Shed.
- Subscription offer - Subscribe to the print version of Organic Gardener for only $49.95 and receive a free copy of ABC Organic Gardener Essential Guide: Inspirational Gardens, valued at $10.95
- Gardening on your ABC - Your ABC local radio and TV gardening guide.
Get your printed copy!
Or try out the digital version
Watch the YouTube video promo for the May/June 2015 issue of Organic Gardener magazine
with commentray by our own Aussie icon, Peter Cundall.