Get stuck into the autumn issue of Organic Gardener magazine.
Grow cracker caulis with Peter Cundall, discover a rich world of garlic and learn about medicinal herbs and how school gardens are growing healthy minds and bodies.
Plus, boost your soil with green manure and chook-proof your patch!
ABC Organic Gardener magazine, print and digital versions, available from ABC Shops and Centres, newsagents, zinio, google play, apple newsstand and online at organicgardener.com.au
Grow: Jolly good caulies
They may not be the prettiest veg in the patch but cauliflowers make for magnificent eating when grown well, writes Peter Cundall.
Grow: A world of garlic
Penny Woodward is passionate about the surprisingly wide range of colourful and flavoursome garlics. Here she reveals some of her favourite cultivars and how to grow them.
Grow: Wicked wasabi
If you like your food hot then don’t miss Justin Russell’s expert tips on growing nasal-clearing wasabi, as well as horseradish and mustard.
People: Herb heroes
Justine McClymont meets two of Australia’s pioneering medicinal herb growers and gets some inside advice for the herbal home garden.
Planet: 10 toxic truths
Professor Marc Cohen investigates the effects of chemicals used in food production and everyday products on our health, soils and the environment.
Harvest: In the limelight
With their zesty and intoxicating flavour and aroma, limes make the ideal starring ingredient for both sweet and savoury dishes, say Phil Dudman and Julie Ray.
Action: Get cracking
Cooler conditions signal a new growing season so get stuck in with these timely tasks from Phil Dudman and Penny Woodward.
Solutions: Green manure fix
Does your soil need a boost? Phil Dudman suggests growing a multi-beneficial green manure crop.
Profile: How Rachel Carson changed the world
Simon Webster looks back at how author and scientist Rachel Carson alerted the world to the dangers of chemical pesticides in her landmark book Silent Spring.
Life: 2,4-D and the hand of God
In an edited extract from his new book, The Third Plate, US chef and agrarian Dan Barber recounts the story of a wheat-growing couple and how a chemical scare led them to organics.
Poultry: Chook-proofing your garden
Chooks can be great garden helpers, but they need boundaries! Jessamy Miller looks at how to ensure your chooks work for you, not against you.
Child: Gardens of knowledge
School gardens not only teach children how to grow their own food and eat well, they also help build self-esteem, writes Kylie McGregor.
Patch from Scratch
We catch up with our Patch from Scratch winners to see how things are progressing.
Plus all our regular articles…
- Editor’s letter
- Organic feedback
- Organic matters - the latest news and events.
- Organic market - Clean and green products for your home and body.
- Organic plant - Nutrient-dense plants for the cool season.
- Organic advice - our experts answer your gardening questions.
- Organic library - the latest books.
- Losing the plot: Despite his best efforts (and questionable carpentry skills), Simon Webster’s quest to build the perfect vegie bed goes on, and on.
- Competition - WIN one of four eco-organic garden packs worth over $150 each!
- Subscription offer - Subscribe to Organic Gardener for only $49.95 and go into the draw to WIN a $1320 Bushmans rainwater tank!
- Gardening on your ABC - Your ABC local radio and TV gardening guide.
Get your printed copy!
Or try out the digital version