www.landshareaustralia.com.au is an online network that brings together people who share a passion for seasonal home-grown organic produce, connecting those who have land to share with those who need land for cultivating food.
Landshare is for people who:
- Want to grow vegetables but don't have anywhere to do it
- Have a spare bit of land they're prepared to share
- Can help in some way – from sharing knowledge and lending tools to helping out on the plot itself
- Support the idea of freeing up more land for growing
- Are already growing and want to join in the community
The concept of Landshare began in the UK, launched through the River Cottage television program in 2009, and has since grown into a thriving community of more than 57,000 growers, sharers and helpers across the country. Now Australian's can get on board and support this fantastic initiative which aims to help secure the food future of our communities.
Getting involved in Landshare Australia is easy. Just head to the website, register, create a profile, post a listing, search for a suitable match, make contact, agree on a few terms then get growing. If you are already growing and don't have land to share, you can simply register as a supporter to take advantage of the websites resources, download 'how-to' guides, participate in blogs and forums and ask questions of the websites 'Veg Doctors'. Best news, it's an absolutely free service.
Click herefor an ABC report on the site launch with audio describing the Landshare Australia initiative.
First published: January 2011